All to often I see otherwise capable facilitators struggling with their email list presence. Common mistakes I see include things like boring impersonal content, lame subject lines, outdated appearance, not-mobile-friendly templates, sporadic scheduling, inconsistency, lack of clear call-to-action, and content overkill or too much clutter. A great newsletter has people looking forward to receiving it, a high open rate, and an engaged readership. Bad newsletters get ignored, unsubscribed, or reported as spam.
Here’s ten fundamental reasons email should be the cornerstone of your movement marketing strategy.
- The money is in the list. A highly targeted and well-groomed email list is the best investment you can have in your practice.
- People make decisions and plans from their email. Email is usually integrated into people’s calendar application.
- Social media is for distraction and entertainment. When someone is reading your email you have their full attention.
- People pay attention to their email while they are working. It’s usually part of their job, they are expected to be in their email boxes while they are at work, while use of social media is generally frowned upon.
- You own and control your email list. It is not subject to the whims or the algorithms of a large corporation that can restrict your reach or charge you for access.
- You can deliver multiple types of content via email. Video, audio, images, PDFs, eBooks, white-papers, etc.
- Email can be automated. A professional ESP (email service provider) will give you the ability to create autoresponders, if/then sequences, response rules, and forward to a friend features.
- Sign-up forms for your list can be embedded anywhere. Your website, your Facebook Page, your LinkedIn Profile, etc.
- You can stay top-of-mind and build a passionate following with a well-thought-out email newsletter program.
- There’s no better place to cultivate you mojo. Your charisma can shine and your following will grow with a clever and creative email newsletter strategy.
Now that you know some of the fundamental reasons why email lists are so important, look for my next articles where I give you ideas and concepts on just how to create an easy-to-produce newsletter and break down many of the tools and tips you need to rock your list.[/upme_private]